Our Tilden Park Outdoor Summer Camp, for campers ages 6-10 year olds, runs from June to August each summer and most youth leaders sign up for 1-2 of our sessions. If you love being outdoors, want to welcome campers each day, and help staff with field games, songs, arts and crafts, dressing up for Wacky Wednesday, cooking, walks with nature exploration, conflict resolution, reading books, playing board games & with sand and water play at our almost weekly swim day at Lake Anza, Tilden Park is for you. Youth leader teams gather weekly to talk about how it’s going, learn some skills for working with campers, and have some fun together. There are 10 youth leader spaces for each session.
Meadows Picnic Area & Lake Anza, Tilden Park, Berkeley
CITs (Counselors in Training):
- 11-15 years old
- can be new or a former camper
JCs (Junior Counselors):
- 14-17 years old
- have previously been CIT at our camps and received positive feedback from staff. Please note: If you are 14-17 and new, be a CIT for this camp, then you can be JC next camp.
REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW AND RETURNING YOUTH LEADERS
The youth leader program works best when kids have:
1) shown a strong interest in mentoring younger children and kids look up to them
2) a love of the outdoors & camp in general- “It’s a lot of fun!”
3) very good social emotional/group dynamic skills & show strong capacity for kindness
4) ability to put the campers needs before own
5) interest in gaining more training and volunteer experience, so that eventually more qualified for paid camp position at this or another camp or kid’s program
If you agree these things apply to your child, feel free to register! If you have any concerns, please e-mail the office.
SESSIONS & AVAILABILITY & TIERS (we update these weekly-online registration has most up to date info) *
Usually early June to late August
Most sessions are two weeks, except for start & end of summer. Maximum enrollment of 4 weeks for CITs; 6 for JCs.
*camps are priced at first (Buckeye), second (Redwood) and final (Oak) tiers- so, if at 2nd or final tier, camp is more full.
Prep before camp:
- Orientation handbook reading, which includes some practicing of camp games and songs, as well as filling out and sending in an annual review questionnaire to our office, which we share with the staff.
- Camp gear-we will either have you pick up or deliver. Gear included with registration: 2 shirts, hoody, baseball cap or visor.
During Camp Mandatory Details:
- Being on time each day (they do not have a flexible arrival time) and attending all hours of their basic shift (unless sick). Attending all days of the session signed up for. Do not schedule appointments or time away, thanks!
- Orientation Meeting: First day of each session with the Site Director. This one is fairly quick, as we want to get you back with the kids.
- Weekly team meetings, usually mid week, in the afternoons for about 45 minutes, to talk about camp, and learn more about being a counselor.
SHIFT (HOURS), GROUP CHOICES, AND PAYMENT INFO (plans available)
- Chose a shift (earlier sign-ups get all options, some sell out early)
- CIT: 8:30-3:30 or 10:00-5:00
- JC: 8:00-3:30 or 10:00-5:30
- All youth leaders get a half hour break daily, between 12-1:30.
- Sign up for optional extended care available-full hours 8:00-6:00. Early sign up free or at discount.
- Choose preferred age group: on youth leader form, indicate a preference, if you have one. We do our best to match youth leaders with those groups.
COUNSELOR IN TRAINING CAMP FEES
JUNIOR COUNSELOR CAMP FEES