INTERESTED IN JOINING OUR TEAM?
At the moment, we are between camp programs, so not actively hiring, but always interested in hearing from anyone interested in working with us. Send resume and letter of interest and your availability. See more details below.
“Working at Monkey Business Camp was such a wonderful experience. Being hired to play and have fun and show love to these amazing kids and work with such a supportive and fun staff was a remarkably fulfilling experience!”
Site Directors, hours 8:15-4:45 (with break mid-day), lead camp through close collaboration with their team, providing mentoring for staff and youth leaders, creating daily rapport with families, and initiating the magic and fun that makes each Monkey Business summer unforgettable. They are the heartbeat of camp! They greet and communicate with parents at drop-off and pick up. They work with a daily schedule that is already created, with options to choose from within the times of day, including games, art, hikes, circle group times.
Group Leaders, hours 8:15-4:45 (with break mid-day), are like Assistant Directors, responsible for reading and maintaining details in leadership handbook and in general helping support the site director in creating an incredible summer of magic and fun that makes each Monkey Business summer unforgettable for the campers, youth leaders and staff team. They sometimes step in to greet parents at drop-in or pick-up or become site director for the day.
Counselors, hours 8-5 (with break mid-day) bring caring, playful, and energetic vibe to co-create and assist in making an incredible summer program for the campers, youth leaders and staff team. They might arrive earlier and stay later to help with set up and clean up, help with giving other staff breaks, and visit various sites.
SUMMER- Positions available at our Tilden Park program. For Summer 2023, we may have our “On the Go” Field Trip Camps starting up again.
SCHOOL BREAKS- THANKSGIVING, WINTER, FEBRUARY, SPRING CAMPS
Please see below regarding year round employment options. We would love someone to start Thanksgiving or Winter 2022, if you are interested in applying.
“I had the best time feeling free and joyful working at camp. Monkey Business is structured so well for youth (as well as staff) to explore and connect with community. I cannot wait until next time. Bring on the fun!!”
YEAR-ROUND EMPLOYMENT: Commit more and receive more benefits for that-Up to $2,000/year!
Be part of our community in a more ongoing level. We are grateful to have an intergenerational team on each of our staff teams. We pay above average salaries for the field, and contribute toward health care, vacation and sick time for those who commit to working all of our school break camps, plus at least 6 weeks of our summer program. Ongoing staff benefit our community, and help make it what it is.
We are looking for people who:
- are called to working with kids in a camp environment
- yearn to be part of a community committed to excellence, joy, creativity, justice and love
- want to make an impact on future generations, and have the younger ones influence them
- like down time during parts of the year to pursue other projects or travel
- are dependable, creative, and kind
Required Dates, depending on when you join (for example, you could start during Thanksgiving 2021 and work through Summer 2022):
- Thanksgiving Camp 2022: Monday-Wednesday, Nov. 21-23, with full day set up and team meeting Saturday, Nov 19.
- Winter Camp 2022: Dec. 19-23 and Dec 27-30 (Dec 26-we may do this day as well) , with full day set up and team meeting, Sat, Dec 17. We usually have enough staff that some can take off part, but not guaranteed.
- February Camp 2023: Feb 21-24, with full day set up and team meeting on Monday, Feb 20
- Spring 2022: April 4-8, with full day set up and team meeting on Sat, April 2.
- Summer 2023: Still TBD. This is the info from Summer 2022: 3 three week sessions, June 13-July 1, July 5-22 (no camp Monday, July 4), July 25-Aug 12, with in person staff orientations leading up to camp, on Wednesday, before 1st session for those working 1st session. For upcoming sessions, staff would attend a day in the week previous to shadow, usually on Thursday. TBD Zoom orient plans: All staff will attend a Youth Leader orient , as well as an all staff orient, usually an afternoon in the weeks leading up to camp. New staff will attend an additional Zoom orient for about 2.5 hours.
In subsequent years, we usually follow local public school calendars, Berkeley Unified for Spring Camp, West Contra Costa/Albany for February Camp.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ANY POSITIONS: When open, we would have online application, but please feel free to send e-mail and cover letter to our office, if interested, at other times.
MESSAGES FROM PREVIOUS STAFF:
“As a former counselor at Monkey Business Camp in Tilden Park, I can honestly say that MBC is a ton of fun! A typical week might include sports, non-traditional games, nature walks, arts and crafts, theme days, and so much more to challenge and entertain your child. There is an appropriate staff-to-camper ratio and every activity is planned out and well organized. The staff even makes sure campers take water and sun-screen application breaks! If you’re looking for a camp that will return your child happy, healthy, and worn out from all the fun, Monkey Business Camp delivers.”
“MBC is amazing on so many levels–fun, professional growth, and building lasting relationships. I will never forget what I experienced this summer; everyone is a huge family–campers and workers are invested in this camp!”
“By and large I greatly enjoyed working with the staff at MBC. Most every experience was positive and I felt connected to the rest of the team, which really made the summer much more fun. Also, the kids really love coming to MBC so you’ll get to have a ton of fun playing with some really awesome kids. I really valued my interactions with both staff and campers.”
“My experience at MBC was amazing, in great part due to the incredibly high quality of the Staff, YL’s and Admin staff. The campers and parents were wonderful too, but Heather has built a model that so many other places could aspire to emulate.”
“The behind the scenes support makes the camp easy to create with a sense of fun at every turn. Even the most non- creative person can make this camp fun and exciting with just the protocol offered. But, obviously it is more fun to engage one’s creativity. And, you can’t help but fall in love with all the cuteness of the campers. I worked with the young ones.”